Friday, August 1, 2008

UltraMarathon Man

I went to see a documentary last night on Dean Karnazes called UltraMarathon Man. I was fortunate get an e-mail from my Tri Coach Liz Garcia on the movie and I must say it was worth the price of admission.

The documentary was about Dean Karnazes and his quest to run 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 consecutive days. That is 1310 miles in 50 days. That is over double my personal run total for the last year. During the course of 50 days he participates in 8 actual marathons and then he has the race directors from 42 marathons help him recreate the others using the official course. Some of the runs were in the city, some in the country and some were on trails. The scenery in some of these places was magnificent to see and there are a couple of marathons that I now have on my personal to do list.

The movie was very inspiring and there were lots of funny and touching parts of his journey and quite frankly it makes you want to go out and run. The people that ran these races were very interesting as well. There were people that were cancer survivors, people that were running with one leg and there were lots of kids. You even saw a few Team In Training people out there as well.

I'm trying not to tell you all of the documentary but two things that I thought were very cool. His fastest marathon that he ran was his last one (New York City Marathon) and after he finishes the 50 marathons in 50 days he takes a couple days to do some interviews and then he decides to run another 1300 miles back to the start of his first marathon in Missouri. It is just insane. I recommend this checking it out!

2 comments:

norms said...

no mention of the dude that took a faceplant on the pole? that's the best part! (not really, but it got an encore in slow motion!)hehehe wish i was a great runner. he's a better man than me. ;)

CoachLiz said...

I think we need to look for a You Tube clip of "Pole Guy". It would be very uplifting on tough days, lol!!!

Glad you all came out last night. Great to see you.