Monday, November 8, 2010

2010 Trail Run to Benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

On Sunday November 7, 2010 I ran the 2010 Trail Run to Benefit Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. This was a fund-raiser for those of us running in one of the TNT events in January. It was 3.85 mile trail run through the Memorial Park Mountain Bike Trails. I have never done trail running but I had a blast. It was tough running and I was very sore after but I definitely want to try my hand at a trail run in the future. Here are the run details:

We started the run near the Picnic Loop and made our way to the Mountain Bike Trail. After a brief run through the trail we exited along Memorial Blvd and then we had to complete an obstacle. It was easy, just a quick run across some 2 X 4's. At this time I was in 5th place and I was feeling good. We then re-entered the trail and weaved through the woods. It was fun but not the fastest running. After about 2.9 miles of tough running we exited the trails and we had another obstacle. This time we had to run through tires and then crawl through some tubing. This was little tougher because the tubing moved as you crawled through it. After making it through I made it to the aid station where one of the runners ahead of me dropped out. This put me in 4th. We then ran back onto the trails near the baseball fields for the last portion of the race. The trails were basically the same and we exited close to the bridge that crosses Memorial. This is where the 3rd and final obstacle was. For this challenge we had to Army crawl under a tarp and then run through some more tires and then it was a straight shot back to the finish line. At this point I was tied for 3rd. As we made it towards the finish I turned up the speed and finished 3rd overall. This was obviously a very small event with a little over 30 runners. With that said I was still excited to finish 3rd overall. It was my 1st podium finish ever. After the run, I put in another 7 miles of running. It was slow and I was hurting but I needed the miles.

The training is still going well and I hope to get a few more runs and rides in this week. I feel like I am getting closer to being ready for the Goofy Challenge and the Houston Marathon. I'm looking forward to both.

Bye for now!

No comments: