Sunday, July 12, 2009

Kiwanis Kids Triathlon


Saturday was my time volunteering at a triathlon. I know what you are thinking, for someone who has done as many triathlons, bike rides and running events as i have he must have volunteered at least a few times. Well, I haven't sorry. But I decided to make up for lost time and man the bike turn around at the Kiwanis Kids Triathlon. I will say it would have been nice to be in the transition or run areas to see more of the run and finish line action but watching the bike turn around was pretty neat. The bike course was on Jones Rd and was out and back totaling a mile. The smaller kids 7-9 did one loop and the older kids 10-12 did 2 loops for 2 miles. The turnaround was funny because we had to slow kids down to make a sharp u-turn and many just couldn't. A number of kids ate it on the curb but they always jumped right up and kept going. If it would have been me that fell I'm sure that my attitude would not been so good. The bike portion went pretty fast and once we picked up all the cones off Jones Rd the race was over.

There were two kids I was pulling for during the race. First, was Joe a 10 year old first timer and the nephew of Sarah. This kid was flying on his Mongoose BMX and I think he had a blast.We have good pictures of him on the bike and one of him kissing his guns while on the swing set. He finished 3rd in his age group. And then there was Steven, Coach Liz's kid. This was not his first rodeo and he looked real strong on the bike. He actually had time to wave at me before he made his first turn around. I could tell on his second loop that he wanted to go faster but he couldn't due to the no passing rule. I'm not sure where Steven finished because I had to leave and they were still sorting through the awards. I'm sure he was close to the top of his age group.

It was a hot day but a fun one. It was neat watching all the little kids racing. They are pretty competitive and I'm sure they will beating me in a race sometime in the near future. I can't wait for next years race.

2 comments:

norms said...

That was so much fun! Buddy and Joe did great on the race.

Coach Liz said...

Thanks for all of your help with the event and for Norma getting some great pictures!