Monday, April 13, 2009

Katy Ram Challenge

This past Saturday I rode the Katy Ram Challenge. I didn't see any Ram's but there was plenty of challenge. The course was flat for the most part but the headwind was awful. I don't like headwind but it is even worse when its on the back half of the ride. I started the ride with Sklyer, Nikki, Jonathan, Brad and Norma. Skyler and Nikki dropped back early due to a problem that Skyler was having with his bike. The rest of us stayed together until the first rest stop. Brad, Jonathan and I motored through and were riding between 26-28 mph with that tailwind. We stopped at the second rest stop where we ran into Tom. After the brief rest Brad peeled off to do the 46 mile route and Jonathan and I kept going on the 62/74 mile route. When we reached the split for the 74 route we realized that it would be best to ride 62 miles. The crosswind was picking up and we knew we still had to face the headwind on the way back. Around mile 45 I started to fade. I was having a difficult time keeping up with Jonathan. We stopped at the last rest stop where we fueled up for the final 11 miles. It was 11 of the toughest miles I have rode. We were pedaling around 17 mph but it felt like we weren't even moving. Finally after almost 3 hours of riding we were near the finish. The total time of 3:02 for an official distance of 60.8 miles. My legs were dead but it was what I needed.

I capped my weekend with a 6 mile run on Sunday morning at Memorial. I was still tired from the ride the day before but it ended up being a good run. I'm not sure if I am ready for my race on Saturday but I guess I am as ready as I am going to get. I have a few short and light workouts this week but I am tapering. We will see how it goes.

1 comment:

CoachLiz said...

Good Luck at RAGE this weekend!!!